Thanks to the internet and the onset of navigational apps, finding where you need to be is now a piece of cake. It is thanks to these that we can find our way, often in a completely different city or country, without getting lost. Your map is in your pocket, and you no longer have to manage cumbersome paper maps, or rely on strangers to give you directions. These tips covering both the Google Maps app, as well as the desktop version of Google Maps, are sure to enhance and improve your navigation experience. Read on!
7 Extremely Useful Tips For Using Google Maps
1. The first tip is the easiest and saves you from the hassle of manually entering your home or work address on the app each time you need to commute. You will find the option to enter these details from the ‘Edit home’ or ‘Edit work’ options under Settings.
2. Let Google decide your venue. If you are in a new area and want to head out, say, to a restaurant, all you have to do is search for something like “restaurants near ___”. Google Maps app will pull up a list of all the eateries nearby, along with their user ratings. You never have to be overwhelmed by choices again!
3. The desktop version of Maps can also help you find out about upcoming events like parties, concerts of performances. This is especially useful if you are a tourist in an unfamiliar city and are looking for ways to kill time. This tip is for the desktop version, and all you have to do is enter your location of choice and scroll all the way to the bottom. Here, you will find the option called ‘upcoming events’. It will provide you with a handy list of a variety of events, and can also redirect you to the event page where you can find more details.
4. Another tip that is kind of like the one mentioned above is the Nearby Places feature. If you click on the search bar in the app and scroll down a bit, there should be an option for Nearby Places. This is conveniently divided into different categories to suit your needs, and covers a wide range of places such as hospitals, petrol pumps, and restaurants. This also lists information about each location as well as contact details.
5. If you know you will be going to an unfamiliar location, another useful tip is to save a map of the area beforehand on the Maps app. This ensures that even if you do not have a working mobile data connection, you will not be stranded in unfamiliar territory. To save a map, go to Menu, then hit ‘save offline map’. Select the place you will be travelling to, and when prompted, Google Maps will pull up the map you saved even if you have no internet connection. These can be found under My Maps in the menu.
6. Right-clicking on a map can prompt some very useful settings that are otherwise harder to find. On the desktop version of Google Maps, right-clicking a certain location can give you directions on how to navigate to and from that place, whether it’s by foot, public transportation or a car.
7. To access street-view instantly, you can drag and drop the little yellow figure on the screen to the location of your choice. P.S. His name is Pegman, as named by the folks at Google.
Summing It Up
So, now that you are aware of these useful tips and tricks, venture out without fear. We wish you a traffic-free ride. Happy travelling!